Wednesday, July 28, 2010

An Ode to Camping Grand Teton


We woke up in Utah at Erin's
finally caught up on sleep,
played arcade basketball
and had (free!)cereal to eat.

Surrounded by mountains,
and fresh morning air,
we drove over to Walmart
in order to prepare.

Two nights of camping
was what we had planned,
we picked up food, another sleeping bag,
and beans in a can.

Walmart is our go-to store,
because it helps us be thrifty.
We bought food for the next 6 meals,
only costing us each $2.50 (a meal!).

Thriftiness aside,
we began our shorter drive,
only four more hours,
and in Wyoming we'd arrive.

I drove us through canyons and farms,
only swerving once to get a look,
at some kind of hawk.
[I wish I had my bird guide book!]

Arriving in Grand Teton,
we were full of excite,
especially when the campgrounds,
were still available for us to spend the night.


Once at camp
we slammed on the brakes,
to take pictures of buffalo
when we realized they weren't fake.



I was prepared to make a fire,
so dinner we could grill,
my only strategies known from years
of Big Bob showing me his fire making skill.



Dinner was sausage,
cooked on a stick.
We felt ridiculous
but it was easy and quick.

It started to drizzle,
so ponchos were pulled out.
I refused to wear one,
or my ruggedness I'd doubt.

Their rain gear was ridiculed,
by a woman in the bathroom.
They didn't care because
they were ready for any rain that loomed.

I was almost in tears
when rain stopped s'more making.
They agreed to each make one,
because my tears I wasn't faking.

Crisis adverted
we went in our tent to play cards.
Where Jess lost at all games,
her feelings ending up hard.

Finally we allowed ourselves
to get some sleep,
with animal sounds outside our tent,
making our hearts leap.

No comments:

Post a Comment