Friday, July 23, 2010

First Time Camping 101

We've really mastered the art of thriftiness. We stole Melba toast and crackers from the steakhouse because we were sure Red Roof Inn's continental breakfast would consist of jelly and bread(it was similar excitement of a child on Xmas morning when we walked into bagels, pastries, AND english muffins). We were sure to pack our cooler with free hotel ice, and steal the cups from our room. Allie reminds us daily of tips from Rachel Rays $40 a day on how to save. We risk the gas light going on because we are convinced we can find cheaper gas at the next rest stop. We got giddy over our bargain shopping and purchase of a 25 cent pack of Crayola crayons. It was only after seriously contemplating stealing toilet paper that we had to laugh at ourselves for turning into such cheap nomads.


After a friend called asking what we were doing and I replied, "We're in a WalMart in South Dakota buying a camp lantern," I knew it was time to be on our way as we were quickly becoming one with the hicks of Sioux Falls. We left excited and intrigued for what our 1st night of camping at the Badlands had to offer us. We made a quick stop at the Corn Palace, a building decorated solely with ears of corn. It was here that I mistook a live human, sitting next to an Indian statue, for being a statue herself at the doll museum. Loudly, embarrassingly, and within feet of the girl, I proclaimed to the girls, "SHE REALLY IS A STATUE!" I was staring at her so closely, I thought we we were having a staring contest for a brief moment, and when she finally turned her head, I quickly shuffled away from her with my jaw hanging low. Typical we would later see her at 2 rest stops and the same campsite as us. For the greater portion of the drive to Badlands, I colored (with my 25 cent box of Crayola crayons) in KK's disney princess coloring book, while Allie woke up from a nap realizing she had been holding Floop's hand the whole time.






We arrived at the Badlands National Park amazed and in awe at the beautiful scenery in front of us. It was literally like driving into a picture. After being true tourists and snapping copious amounts of photos(which don't do it justice) while still in the car, it was time to find our camp site and set up shop. Allie and I knew which spot to choose when Kakey the nature woman blurted out, "IS THAT A PAINTED BUNTING?" in utter excitement over her bird spotting. We scoped out our perfect piece of land on the outskirts and set up our tent there. I still can't get over how easy it is to put up a tent. With Katy efficiently directing, and only a slight bicker over where to face the opening, the tent was up in all its glory in approximately 15 minutes. I quickly realized this type of camping was the perfect introduction to camping for first timers. We were surrounded by other people, tents, bathrooms, and a beautiful backdrop. We hiked a few of the easier trails and were ready to pack it in for the night. We ate canned beans by the campfire, and by ate beans I mean we ordered 3 entrees from the lodging dining. To our defense, no fires were allowed and our past thriftiness allowed us the splurge. For dessert, we had lollipops. Katy and I had schemed to trick Allie by making her blind taste test a dill pickle lollipop. After a few hints, and guesses of beans, and then Jaeger, we knew Allie was too nervous about what it could be to use her taste buds to guide her.






After a few brews, copious amounts of bug repellent, and a game of Rummy 500(Allie won, damn it)lit by our new lantern, it was time for bed. Being a baby, I demanded being in the middle so if the psycho killer I feared of broke through the sides, he/she would get Allie or KK first. I knew the night would be interesting when a minute after laying down, Allie quickly shot up saying a frog was on her, until Katy, unfazed, told her it was merely a grasshopper and wanted to keep it as a pet. With KK reading us our bedtime chapter of "Trail to Destiny," we were content with our sleeping situation...until we heard the all too close sounds of what I thought sounded like the deep moo of a cow (can you tell how in tune with nature I am?), but was actually a buffalo. After a calming pep talk from the again unfazed KK, our worries were eased enough to fall asleep...for a little. We woke up having shivered awake every few hours as we used our 2 sleeping bags as the floor of the tent and thought keeping the vents of the tent open would be a good idea. Foolish 1st time camping mistake to think we'd be fine in shorts and a tee. I'm pretty sure I sprained my ankle in my sleep, Allie broke her back and was awoken by the howl of coyotes, and Katy thinks prairie dogs may have been bouncing off our tent throughout the night. I think Floop and Ernie were the only ones content with their night of sleep in the tent. Overall, I'm really just thankful my new knowledge of knowing the difference between an inquisitive bear vs. an attacking one was not needed..yet. Pictures to come lataaa.

1 comment:

  1. PEEING my pants. I can't with you guys. The whole statue story made me cry, I can JUST see you doing that. HAHAHA dying. xoxo Easy

    ReplyDelete