Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Allie gets Iced in Wisconsin



After our brief "bump" in the road (by bump, I mean nail in the tire) and two new tires, we were on the road to South Dakota. First stop, a gas station in Wisconsin where Jess marveled at the fact that they sold beer, wine AND liquor. Unbeknownst to me, she had been scheming a plan. Thanks to our recent trip to see our dear cousin James and his gaggle of gentlemen friends, we learned what "icing" was. Basically, you hide a bottle of Smironoff Ice (as Katy described it, drinking "sweet soda") and wait for someone to find it. Upon them finding it, they have been "iced" and must chug the bottle. Unfortunately, I was the victim. Jess asked me, innocently enough to get her phone out of her purse before she started driving. Instead of her phone, I found a 32 ounce bottle of Smironoff Ice. Good thing I wasn't driving next! (I only chugged about half of it.)




After copious amounts of map and road-sign-reading, we realized that after IL and WI, we would be driving through Minnesota. The cool part was that the whole scenery changed immediately after crossing from WI to Minnesota. The "land of a thousand lakes" is pretty accurate, but the rolling hills really dominated. The coolest part of the ride was when we drove through a giant field of wind turbines. We're talking about 100 on both sides of the road. Apparently they don't do their job when there's no wind because only a couple of them were actually spinning. The most UNCOOL part of the ride was riding behind a truck carrying hundreds and hundreds of chickens on a one lane highway. Jess is severely depressed now that she found out that the chickens are actually not going to a beautiful farm in Minnesota to live out their lives.

Amidst reading another rousing chapter of "Trail of Destiny" where Katy proved her fabulous read aloud skills by proclaiming, in a rather fervent tone, "BARLEY" instead of "BARELY" when the main character asked another if they were awake yet, we arrived in South Dakota. Lots of cows, lots of open space.




After we checked into our ever-so-classy Red Roof Inn in Sioux Falls, we decided to venture to Tea, SD, about 15 minutes away for a recommendation from the road food king, DT. Katy was nervous there would be a dress code at the "Tea Steak House" and we had a good laugh when we got there because of it. Kitschy cowboy pictures, all wood furnishing and a 6'4'' waitress whose hands were bigger than Andre the Giants who we lovingly referred to as Doris. What we got was a feast. Kate- Sirloin, Jess- T-bone steak, and me- the special on a Wednesday night, Prime Rib. All came with salad, recommended hash browns instead of baked potato, and dinner rolls. The steak was unbelievable. We couldn't get over how different- but delicious each cut of meat was. Considering we didn't eat all day, the portions and the price were right. Thanks DT!


So we've been sitting in our hotel watching Top Chef waiting for the flood watch and crazy lightning show to die down before we head outside to get our luggage. Time to get ready for bed- we need to be the first ones at the free continental breakfast tomorrow morning :)

9 comments:

  1. This Trail of Destiny sounds fascinating.

    btw Got a quick question for you. I've got an empty (ie no records) ArcGIS feature class, with all the fields I want. I've got another feature class with all the records I want and similar fields. How can I dump all the records from the second feature class into the first while mapping out which fields go where (for instance a field called 'date_1' in the second feature class could be called 'Sample_Date' in the first one).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grey,

    You’re so funny. All this talk all the time about your G. I. S. I think you just need to play with your G. I. Joes. Seriously, though your question is easy. In order to dump the records from one table to another simply create a relationship between the tables and then join them. This will allow for a simple trouble free method for migrating your fields across feature classes. Hope this helps.

    PS. You type like a Cheyenne warrior!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura,
    Thanks for responding, but I think you should stick to making my meals and tanning buffalo hides in the tipi. There are no records in the first feature class to relate to. How the am I supposed to create a relate if there are no records?! Woman, I tire of your foolishness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys have way too much time on your hands. Go find some work to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS I'm amazed characters from the 1800s have such a deep knowledge of GIS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grey Wolf...

    Just wow... You’re not even Indian. Your just a white guy in a costume. A costume, I will add that I made for you. Your just LARPing around. Remember Wild Hawk, the Pawnee I dated, he might have murdered your family, but at least he was a REAL INDIAN!!!
    Katy,
    Stay out of this. This is between Greg and I. That’s right Grey Wolf, I spilled the beans about your real name. Greg, Gregory, grow up you LARPER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS to you too Katy. When I rode the wagon cross the country did you see me "blogging". Get back to work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura,
    This 'costume' as you put it is the dress of my people. The people who raised me in the Cheyenne tradition after my family was murdered by the Pawnee. Call me a LARPer if you will, but I assure you, this knife is real. And I'll use it, so help me Buffalo Spirit God. So don't test me. Heaving bosom or no heaving bosom, I'll put you in your place.

    And Katy, stay out of this. You are already coming west to steal our land, let us have our peace!

    ReplyDelete